join our team
Data Analyst/Software Engineer
Ethnic Technologies seeks a Data Analyst/Software Engineer to join the Information Technology Department.
- Design predictive demographic products and software enhancements.
- Analyze, test, and troubleshoot product designs and changes.
- Identify, design, and implement internal process improvements: automating manual processes, optimizing data delivery, re-designing infrastructure for greater scalability, etc.
- Communicate with various stakeholders in order to ensure products and processes meet their needs, anticipate, suggest, and implement upgrades and changes as necessary.
- Discover opportunities for new data acquisition.
Through this work, the Data Analyst/Software Engineer continues to create and improve a suite of predictive demographic software products. The E-Tech products use first name, surname, and geographic intelligence to predict an individuals’ ethnicity, religion, language preference, and similar variables.
The Product Engineer is part of the IT team, but works closely with the Research and Product Development team members, as well as software developers, in a small, established company environment where you will know all your co-workers.
Required Skills and Competencies
- Background in Computer Science.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with relational databases, query authoring (SQL); experience with MySQL or MariaDB is a plus.
- Experience programming; Python, C#, PHP, and/or C/C++ are pluses.
- Strong English written and verbal communication skills.
Desired Skills and Competencies
- A successful history of manipulating, processing, and analysis of large datasets.
- Familiarity with analytics programs, machine learning, and statistical methods to use data in predictive and prescriptive modeling.
- Experience with Linux and scripting in Linux.
- Competent in Microsoft Excel; macro building a plus.
- Experience with Data Visualization and Descriptive Statistics.
- Interest in or knowledge of the US Census and American Community Survey data.
- Self-driven and self-motivated; works independently within set objectives.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Experience supporting and working with cross-functional teams in a dynamic environment.
- Interest in people’s cultures and diversity, including languages, names, and ethnicity.
- Creative, puzzle-solver, solutions-oriented personality.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience.
- Must be able to work full time from the Ethnic Technologies office in South Hackensack, NJ.
Ethnic Technologies offers a competitive base salary with health benefits and a 401k program.
Please include (1) a brief cover letter describing your background and interest (not to exceed one page) and (2) a resume. Do not submit an academic CV. Please name your attachments clearly with your own name and "cover letter" or "resume."
Research & Product Development Internship in Applied Linguistics
Ethnic Technologies is offering an opportunity to apply linguistic principles to data analysis in a business setting. As an intern, your tasks will consist of:
- Classifying first and last names by ethnicity
- Identifying morphological patterns within lists of names
- Defining rules from visible patterns
- Improving the logic that incorporates name intelligence into a predictive software product
- Working with large data sets and developing data analysis skills
Test theoretical ideas with real-world data. Apply language principles to industry leading software.
- Current undergraduate or graduate student
- Currently living and studying in the United States
- Strong written and verbal communication skills in English
- Background in at least one second language
- Self-driven and self-motivated; works independently within set objectives
- Basic computer programming skills and knowledge of database software beneficial
This internship requires a minimum of 8 hours per week from mid-September through mid-December.
Interns must work from the company office in South Hackensack, NJ.
To apply, submit as email attachments:
(1) a brief cover letter describing your background and interest and (2) a resume. These can be emailed to Lisa Spira at firstname.lastname@example.org
Neither attachment should exceed one page; do NOT submit an academic CV. Please name your attachments clearly with your own name and "cover letter" or "resume".
In your application material, please identify your current location and explicitly state that you can work in Northern NJ for the summer. Note that Ethnic Technologies does NOT provide relocation assistance.
The deadline to apply is Thursday, August 15, 2019.
Director of Research & Product Development